Book Title: Becoming a Reflective Teacher (Identifying Instructional Strengths and Weaknesses to Improve Teaching) (Classroom Strategies)
Publisher: Marzano Research Laboratory
Author: Robert J. Marzano
Related BooksSilver Award Winner 2013 Independent Book Publishers Association Benjamin Franklin Award
Just as successful athletes must identify personal strengths and weaknesses, set goals, and engage in focused practice to meet their goals, so must teachers. Coaching colleagues can help one another build their teaching practices by working together. Learn how to combine a model of effective instruction with goal setting, focused practice, focused feedback, and observations to improve your instructional practices. Included are 280 ready-to-use strategies related to the 41 elements of effective teaching shown to enhance student achievement, as well as a list of ways to incorporate technology into the element.
- Find the reflection strategies that work best for you in the comprehensive at-a-glance compendium, complete with its own table of contents.
- Use end-of-chapter comprehension questions to assess and reinforce your understanding of the framework, featuring three categories of lesson segments, the related design questions, and the 41 elements of effective teaching.
- Conduct a self-audit to determine your level of competence for each of the 41 elements of effective teaching.
- Learn how to use video data, student survey data, and student achievement data to improve your practice.
- Continue to develop your instructional practices with an appendix of teacher scales for each reflective practice.
- Relate to and draw from classroom vignettes that depict and explore the presented reflective strategies, including (1) videos of other teachers, (2) coaching colleagues, and (3) instructional rounds.
1. Research and Theory
2. Having a Model of Effective Teaching
3. Setting Growth Goals
4. Engaging in Focused Practice
5. Receiving Focused Feedback
6. Observing and Discussing Teaching
Compendium: Strategies for Reflective Practice
Appendix A: Answers to Comprehension Questions
Appendix B: Teacher Scales for Reflective Practice